Go To Search
RSS Feeds Icon
Highland Beach, Florida
Move Over Act
Motorist Are Now Required to Move Over
Drivers are now required to move over or slow down when approaching an authorized emergency vehicle that is stopped on a highway in Florida. The "Move Over Act", passed during the 2002 session of the Florida Legislature, was signed by Governor Jeb Bush on May 1, 2002. 

Law Provisions
There are several important provisions concerning this new law. The law effects drivers on interstate highways or other highways with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of an emergency vehicle. Except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, when approaching a law enforcement or other authorized emergency vehicle parked on a roadway with their emergency lights activated, drivers are required to vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, as soon as it is safe to do so.

When approaching on a two-lane roadway, and except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, drivers are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater. If the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, drivers must travel at five miles per.

Support Provided
The “Move Over Act,” designed to protect law enforcement and other emergency workers on our highways, was sponsored by Senator Victor Crist, District 13, Tampa, and Representative Mark Flanagan, District 68, Bradenton. The support of the International Union of Police Associations (IUPA) was instrumental in getting this important piece of legislation passed.

During the five-year period of 1996-2000, motorists in Florida crashed into working law enforcement vehicles that were stopped / parked along Florida roadways 1,793 times, resulting in five deaths and 419 injuries.

Highland Beach Police Department • 3614 S. Ocean Boulevard • Highland Beach, FL 33487 • Ph: (561) 266-5800 • Fx: (561) 274-9457
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.